If you are a bass player then you probably have heard of Phil Jones Bass. A company that is backed by over 40 years of passion and experience. Founded by an audio designer and bass player, Phil Jones and his company create ground breaking and innovative amps that are always one step ahead of competition. PJB is a company that is all about Performance, Quality and Dependability. By taking pride in having the most extensive research and development department in the world, they can insure quality and reliability to the bass community. Phil Jones Bass products are designed to give an exhilarating user experience while providing unmatched clarity and tone.
But who is the man behind the brand? Who is Phil Jones? Well he is a man that has had a long sordid love affair with the electric bass for 45 years. Phil began playing at the age of 13, a time when Jimi Hendrix and Motown were ruling the airwaves. One of his earliest cited influences was the legendary James Jamerson. In fact it was because of James that he was inspired to play the bass. The beginning however, was not an easy start. Phil had struggled to pursue playing as he couldn’t afford his own gear and his parents didn’t agree with his decision to play. These obstacles made him realize he had but one choice… to build his own bass and amp. Phil than studied and studied, bass construction and amplifier electronics. He even wound bass pickups from his dads gramophone.
Dream To Reality
Star Studded Lineup
So now you know a little bit of the history of PJB, so lets get to the meat and potatoes shall we? There are several great amps to choose from and there is no wrong choice. Some of our personal favorites are the Suitcase BG-400, the Roadcase BG-800, the Cub BG-100 and the Session 77. These are all stellar amps at varying price points, so there is truly a little something for everyone.
- Power: 300W RMS/4 Ohm w/extension speaker
- Speakers: 4×5 inch PJB ‘Piranha’ Type-B
- Controls: 2x (Level Selector, Volume, 3-Band EQ), Limiter w/On-Off Switch
- Jacks: 2x Input (1/4 inch Phone), Headphone Out, D.I. Out (GND Lift SW), FX Send/Return, Tuner Out, Preamp Out, Ext. Speaker Out
- Dimensions (WxDxH): 14 x 12 x 13 inches
Featuring a small footprint, the Roadcase by Phil Jones Bass is the most powerful compact combo for its size. The 12 PJB proprietary designed Neo Power speakers have the finesse to cope with all styles of playing with the weight and authority from a much larger cabinet. Offering two channels, one for acoustic and one for electric. This amp has it all.
- Power Output: 750 W (RMS)
- Speaker: 12 x 5” PJB NeoPower
- Control: 2 x [Level Selector(Mute-Hi-Low), Volume, 6-Band EQ], Aux Level, Phontom Power On-Off Switch, Limitter w/On-Off Switch, Master Volume, Power Switch
- In / Out: 2 x Input (Input-A: 1/4”Phone,Input-B: 1/4”Phone/XLR),FX Send/Return,Aux-Input, Headphone, Line Out, D.I. Out(GND Lift SW), AC-Input
- Power: 110/220v AC 50/60Hz
- Dimension: (W x D x H) 15 x 18.9 x 36.2 inch
- Weight: 84 lbs
- Handles: Heavy duty ergonomically placed metal handle and castors
- Cabinet finish: BLACK Tolex
- Included: Soft cover
- Model: Bass Cub BG-100
- Type: Lightweight bass combo amp
- Output: 100 Watts
- Speakers: 2 x 5 inch PJB NeoPower Type A
- Channels: 2
- Controls: 3 band EQ per channel, Limiter, Input Level, Master Volume
- Connections: XLR – 1/4 inch combo jack, 1/4 inch instrument, 1/8 inch AUX input, 1/4 inch headphone, XLR DI out, pre-amp out
- Dimensions(WxDxH): 12 x 10.8 x 7.8 inch
- Weight: 13.2 lbs / 6 kg
- 3-way switch: Mute/High Sensitivity/Low Sensitivity (for active or passive basses)
- LED Indicator: Mute / Input Overload
- Bass: 50Hz +/- 18dB.
- Mid Range: 1KHz +/- 18dB
- Treble: 5KHz +/- 18dB
- Power: On/Off Switch & LED indicator
- Back Panel:
- IEC Mains input 100-260 Volts AC
- Vented Enclosure- Butterworth alignment
- 2 x PJB 7 inch High-Gauss overhung coil, ceramic-magnet woofers
- 1 xPJB 2 inch Ferrofluid cooled high power tweeter
- Crossover point 2 KHz at 6dB/Octave
Go to American Musical Supply today to check out our selection of PJB products!
Click Here to check out our article of the best bass amps
Check out our interview with Victor Wooten Here